Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Holiday -- Louvain  (Read 1244 times)
Rustyb
Town Crier

« on: January 17, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »

We started off our holiday at Louvain. We stayed in the semi detached flatlet closest to the conference room.  Relatively wind free. They also gave us a huge bag of wood on arrival. Seiing all the quads and MX bikes made me a bit apprehensive. Me and quads are not great friends. However, we hardly saw or heard them.
After the get together at Louvain, it started raining early the next day. We took a drive to De Vlugt via Nols. In places the road was very bad and judging by the soil erosion large parts of the road were rebuilt.
 We were hoping to go to the trout farm, but heard at the tearoom in De Vlugt that it had been washed away in the recent floods. The road looking like the N1 near Century City during rush hour. We turned around and headed in the direction of Avontuur. What a mistake.
All manner of vehicles flying down the pass. I always thought that vehicles traveling up the pass had right of way. When we stopped to take photos we were looked at as if we were crazy. All these people speeding through the pass obviously never stop to view the surrounding. But when they get home, they can brag and say they drove the road.
 Once at Avontuur we took the road to Uniondale. Nope, we missed the ghost. The road was closed but as local vehicles took it, so did we. It quickly became obvious why. Large chunks of the road had been washed away. In places, the flood line was higher than the road. Photos to follow.  What was amazing for me was the way the Armco barrier had been bent over double.
 Everywhere down the road the destruction was visible. Water pipes piled up in a heap, tree stumps and branches jammed between two lengths of barrier. Gaping holes in the ground where eddies had formed. They had built concrete channels in the past to keep the water away from the road. Some parts were washed away while other stood out. In places the river did not run through the channels anymore.
 Back at Louvain it was still raining on and off. Each time it stopped, the MX chaps would rush in and do a circuit or two before the rain started again. As evening wore on, one chap went for a ride in the forest/bush track. A good while later he came walking out bike less. He arm was at an odd angle. He heard later he had broken his arm and some fingers were off.  It took them quite a while to find and recover the bike.
 The following day we left for Baviaans. Dirk had told us it was easy and that we would make it easily. We would have had it not been raining so hard.
Our stay at Kudu Khaya to follow.

If you sow honesty, you will reap trust
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »

Kumbaya

This is going to be good Smile

Remember:

Useless

Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.
Rustyb
Town Crier

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

Photos  of the get together at Louvain  posted on that thread. De Vlugt and the uniondale road damage I will post under holiday photos

If you sow honesty, you will reap trust
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: