Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Love & War  (Read 41041 times)
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »

Ja, dit pyn as hy lag, dit pyn as hy hoes... Hy besef nog nie dat hy vir 'n tyd lank nie sal kan bike ry nie.

“Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Natuurkind
Town Crier

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

Shame, TR. Jammer om te hoor. Die arme kind. Jy moet jy reis verder geniet sonder Vuurvliegie.  Head Bang

Life is short! Break the rules!
Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly!
Love truly, laugh uncontrollably
And never regret anything
That made you smile!
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

Day 10

The TransAlp felt great after the service. Aparantly half of Lichtenburg's sand came out of the air filter.

Andre was out of the tournament so there was no reason to stick around in Bloem anymore. Pity I missed out on meeting the Bloem Wild Dogs though. I was looking at the maps. The world is my oyster! I've just come from the West and North would take me too far (I had an open ended itinerary but wanted to be back in George in about three days). Lesotho caught my eye, but I didn't have my passport A ride around Lesotho maybe? I really wanted to do this trip but decided against it. If I'm going to ride through Natal I want to do it properly, not rush through.

South was the only option left. But first - the Womans' Monument.

The National Women's Memorial, a sandstone shrine impressive in its simplicity, is a celebrated example of South African sculpture art created by Anton von Wouw.

The discovery of gold at Witwatersrand in the Transvaal in 1886 ended Boer seclusion, and brought a mortal threat to the young nation's dream of freedom from alien rule. As often happens in history, important aspects of the Anglo-Boer conflict came to light only years after the fighting had ended. In a masterful 1979 study, The Boer War, British historian Thomas Pakenham revealed previously unknown details about the conspiracy of British colonial officials and Jewish financiers to plunge South Africa into war.

Boer men were citizen-soldiers. By law, all males in the two republics between the ages of 16 and 60 were eligible for war service. Even as they prepared to face the might of the world's foremost imperial power, the Boers were confident and determined. Although outnumbered, their morale was good. They were fighting for their land, their freedom and their way of life - and on familiar home territory. Boers fighters were also chivalrous in combat. A few years after the end of the war, when passions had cooled somewhat, the London Times' history of the war conceded:

In the moment of their triumph the Boers behaved with the same unaffected kindheartedness ... which they displayed after most of their victories. Although exultant they were not insulting. They fetched water and blankets for the wounded and treated prisoners with every consideration.

In stark contrast to this Lord Kitchener ordered all Boer prisoners to be killed. In addition to this civilians were to be targeted, their possessions burnt and the women and girls rounded up in camps.

John Dillon, an Irish nationalist Member of Parliament, spoke out against the British policy of shooting Boer prisoners of war. On February 26, 1901, he made public a letter by a British officer in the field:

The orders in this district from Lord Kitchener are to burn and destroy all provisions, forage, etc., and seize cattle, horses, and stock of all sorts wherever found, and to leave no food in the houses of the inhabitants. And the word has been passed round privately that no prisoners are to be taken. That is, all the men found fighting are to be shot. This order was given to me personally by a general, one of the highest in rank in South Africa. So there is no mistake about it. The instructions given to the columns closing round De Wet north of the Orange River are that all men are to be shot so that no tales may be told. Also, the troops are told to loot freely from every house, whether the men belonging to the house are fighting or not.

Dillon read from another letter by a soldier that had been published in the Liverpool Courier:

"Lord Kitchener has issued orders that no man has to bring in any Boer prisoners. We take no prisoners now ... There happened to be a few wounded Boers left. We put them through the mill. Every one was killed."

Monument to the men who had to leave their wifes and children to go of to war:

Altogether the British held 116,572 Boers in their South African internment camps -- that is, about a fourth of the entire Boer population -- nearly all of them women and girls.

The boys and old men were sent off to prison camps in India, Bermuda and St. Helena amongst others. Thousands of them died en route and even more died in the prison camps.

There are several plaques with the names of the deceased.

The women and girls held by the British soldiers had it even worse.

A crusading 41-year-old English spinster, Emily Hobhouse, visited the South Africa camps and, armed with this first-hand knowledge, alerted the world to their horrors. She told of internees "... deprived of clothes ... the semi-starvation in the camps ... the fever-stricken children lying... upon the bare earth ... the appalling mortality. These people will never ever forget what has happened," She also declared. "The children have been the hardest hit. They wither in the terrible heat and as a result of insufficient and improper nourishment ... To maintain this kind of camp means nothing less than murdering children."

"These people will never ever forget what has happened" - I will come back to this interesting statement.

Each concentration camp has it's own plaque:

117 Women and 968 girls of fifteen years or younger died in this particular camp.

These individual plaques line the pathway to the monument - both sides...

In a report to members of Parliament, Hobhouse described conditions in one camp she had visited:

... A six month old baby [is] gasping its life out on its mother's knee. Next [tent]: a child recovering from measles sent back from hospital before it could walk, stretched on the ground white and wan. Next a girl of 21 lay dying on a stretcher. The father ... kneeling beside her, while his wife was watching a child of six also dying and one of about five drooping. Already this couple had lost three children.

Hobhouse found that none of their hardships would shake the Boer women's determination, not even seeing their own hungry children die before their eyes. They "never express," she wrote, "a wish that their men must give way. It must be fought out now, they think, to the bitter end."

From Wikipedia:

Concentration Camps

The term concentration camp was first used by the British military during the Boer War (1899-1902). Facing attack by Boer guerrillas, British forces rounded up the Boer women and children as well as black people living on Boer land, and sent them to 34 tented camps scattered around South Africa. This was done as part of a scorched earth policy to deny the boer guerrillas access to the supplies of food and clothing they needed to continue the war.

Though they were not extermination camps, the women and children of Boer men who were still fighting were given smaller rations than others. The poor diet and inadequate hygiene led to endemic contagious diseases such as measles, typhoid and dysentery. Coupled with a shortage of medical facilities, this led to large numbers of deaths — a report after the war concluded that 27,927 Boer (of whom 22,074 were children under 16) and 14,154 black Africans had died of starvation, disease and exposure in the camps. In all, about 25% of the Boer inmates and 12% of the black African ones died.

In contrast to these figures, only around 3,000 Boer men were killed (in combat) during the Boer War.

A delegate of the South African Women and Children's Distress Fund, Emily Hobhouse, did much to publicise the distress of the inmates on her return to Britain after visiting some of the camps in the Orange Free State. Her fifteen-page report caused uproar, and led to a government commission, the Fawcett Commission, visiting camps from August to December 1901 which confirmed her report.

After meeting with Hobhouse, Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, leader of the Liberal Party opposition (and future Prime Minister), publicly declared: "When is a war not a war? When it is waged by methods of barbarism in South Africa." This memorable phrase -- "methods of barbarism" -- quickly became widely quoted, provoking both warm praise and angry condemnation.

On the Boer side 90% of the people that died were non-combatants - women, children and the elderly. The British officers and soldiers received lordships, titles and medals for honour and bravery.

After the war ended several books were written (most in Dutch) detailing the battles as well as the war crimes of the British, including accounts of the rapes and gang rapes that was an almost daily occurrence in the concentration camps. These books were banned by the British. The Union of South Africa came into being on 31 May 1910, with the previously separate colonies of the Cape, Natal, Transvaal and the Orange Free State becoming Provinces in the Union of South Africa.

It was founded as a dominion, later Commonwealth realm, but became a republic on 31 May 1961. Even after independence from Brittan these books were not unbanned. It was thought that they would fuel and entrench the hatred against the British and hamper national unity. Few of these records still exist today. The ban is still in place as far as I know.

Today, more than a century later, the atrocities are still not forgotten. Emily Hobhouse was right.

Sources:

http://www.wikipedia.org/

For more info on the Boer War also see Great Boer War and The Boer War Remembered

Time to hit the road.

I stopped for fuel and saw these two classics:

Come to think of it, it almost looks like an evolution photo

I headed South for the hills of the Eastern Cape. I needed some variety in scenery.

The Southern Freestate also has some hills...

...but I'd hate to meet the mole that made this one!

I rode South through Reddersburg but when I got to Smithfield I had a look at the map again. The Gariep Dam to the West seems interesting... And there is a road that runs all along the dam. So off I went. Next town Bethulie.

It lies next to the back end of the Dam, just inside the Freestate border.

The bridge going over into the Eastern Cape carries normal traffic as well as trains.

Well well, the road I saw on the map turns out to be a route

I like solo trips and love the Karoo, but somehow this just didn't feel right.

I rode past Venterstad and Steynsburg (I only realized later how close I was to the Stormberg Battlefield ) with plans to reach Nieu-Betesda or Graaf Reinet for the night.

It was just after midday (and the heat was unbearable) when I rode into Middelburg. I refeuled and then I saw this!

BMW's (650, 800, 1200) as well as a V-strom 650 and a DRZ400. These just had to be Eastern Cape Wild Dogs I walked into the Saddles where they were at and ordered a beer. Turns out they were not Wild Dogs. Never even heard of it Just a bunch of friends on an out-ride and on their way back to PE just as I sat down. Nice blokes though.

After lunch and another beer the rugby started. When I ordered my third beer I knew I was staying. I booked into the Karoo Country Inn for the night.

It was nice mingling with the locals and getting a feeling for the town. The one guy I watched the rugby with turned out to be an estate agent from Noupoort. Of course he had an investment opportunity I just "couldn't afford to miss" Don't you just hate pushy salesmen? The second game I watched in the safety of my air conditioned hotel room while I worked on the ride report.

I did just over 400km for the day.

“Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »

Day 11

When I woke up this morning I knew the trip was over. I'm going home. I had to ride just over 480km and I phoned Vuurvlieggie and told her that I'd be home for lunch. The decision was made. It was time.

I was in high spirits as I rode through the Mid-Karoo.

This is a dry area, but this pass has been closed several times before due to snow. Well, it is called the "Sneeuberge" after all

Great views over the Kamdeboo as you descend on the Southern side.

Then I got to the Nieu-Betesda turnoff. I remembered the guy I met on day 1 with the Harley. He wanted to go there but couldn't because his bike couldn't go on gravel. I just had to take the gravel. I phoned home again - "Uhm, I might not make lunch after all, but hope to be home for dinner"

It turned out to be a great decision!

Nieu-Betesda turned out to be one of those small town gems.

One horse town? Not quite.

The town is well looked after. The Post Office:

The Police station:

This guy's telephone number is 13

Almost all the stop streets look like this:

I can really see myself living in a town like this. It reminded me of the phrases in the song "Baker street" (by Gerry Rafferty):

The city desert makes you feel so cold,
It's got so many people but it's got no soul
And it's taken you so long to find out you were wrong
When you thought it held everything

He's got this dream about buyin' some land
And then he'll settle down
It's a quiet little town
And forget about everything

I wasn't the only biker looking around.

Nieu-Betesda was also the home of Helen Martins.

Helen Martins

Helen Martins was born in December 1897 and grew up in Nieu-Bethesda as the youngest of six children. She obtained a teachers diploma in nearby Graaff-Reinet and, around that time, married Johannes Pienaar; a teacher, dramatist and in later years a politician. The marriage did not last long and knowledge about her activities in the years that followed is sketchy and often contradictory.

Helen returned to Nieu-Bethesda in the nineteen-thirties to care for her ailing and elderly parents. After they died Helen Martins was left alone, with few prospects, in this remote Karoo village. It was some time after this, somewhere in her late forties or early fifties, that 'Miss Helen', as she became known, was to begin to transform her surroundings.

It is certain that Miss Helen sought praise and attention through her work but as time progressed, and derision and suspicion grew within the village, she became increasingly reclusive.

On a cold winters' morning in 1976, at the age of seventy-eight, Helen Martins,took her own life by swallowing caustic soda. It was her wish that her creation be preserved as a museum. And, her desire to be recognised as an artist is magnificently realised in the attention accorded to the Owl House and the fact that her artwork, once an object of derision and embarrassment, has become the single most important asset of the village of Nieu-Bethesda.

This village has so much to see, so much to offer. I cannot believe I wasted half a day in Middelburg

Owl House

Helen Martins lay ill in bed one night, with the moon shining in through the window, and considered how dull and grey her life had become. She resolved, there and then, that she would strive to bring light and colour into her life. That simple decision, to embellish her environment, was to grow into an obsessive urge to express her deepest feelings, her dreams and her desires.

The interior of the house was virtually completed before the exterior was begun. From the mundane articles that surrounded her, Miss Helen extracted and manipulated an emblematic language of sun-faces, owls and other images. She was particularly inspired by biblical texts, the poetry of Omar Khayyam, and the works of William Blake.

Her favourite animals, owls and camels, predominate, but all manner of real and fantastical beings are to be found. A procession of shepherds and wise men lead a vast, almost life-size camel train toward an 'East' as designated by Helen Martins, and integrates Christianity with her fascination for the Orient.

I took over a hundred photos here. This places is truly amazing. The whole inside of the house is decorated with glass - walls, ceilings, everything.

The house also has some interesting Antiques. I wish Vuurvlieggie could see this.

The back yard is filled with sculptures.

Trying to hold back time:

Next door to the Owl House there is a fossil museum. The whole district is rich in fossils.

All the roads leading to this town are gravel roads. I decided to take this gravel pass (Riverdene road) out of town and travel to Graaf Reinet on a round about way via the Ouberg Pass.

When I reached Graaf Reinet it was midday already.

The town lies in the horse-shoe bend of the Sundays River and boasts more proclaimed national monuments than any other South African town. It lies in the middle of the Karoo National Reserve (15 000 ha) with another wonder of nature, the Valley of Desolation.

There is so much to see! Why oh why did I waste time in Middelburg

Graaf Reinet

Graaf-Reinet a small Karoo town in South Africa is today a tourist destination because of its history. Graaff-Reinet has much of its history preserved in its architecture one of the reasons Tourists flock to the area. Around 1770 the trek of the Boers had penetrated from the Cape into the area of todays Graaff-Reinet. Here, at the margin of the colony, they led an unsteady life under constant threat from Xhosa groups, but as independent and autonomous farmers.

This situation was too difficult for the Cape Town administration to inspect, so they decided to establish a state authority in the region. The first administrator was installed here in 1785. He determined the borders of his territory in 1786, had an administration building erected - the Drostdy - and named the place after the then Governor Jacob van der Graaff and his wife Cornelia Reinet.

The attempt to secure government authority turned out to be difficult. The self-assured citizens resisted any supervision. In 1795 they even proclaimed an autonomous republic, an endeavour which failed however, mainly due to the arrival of the English at the Cape that same year.

But the government also did not manage to establish lasting peace, and when at the end of the 19th century the Boer War broke out, the citizens of Graaff-Reinet fought fiercely on the side of the Boers. Nowadays Graaff-Reinet with its 200 monument-protected buildings is one of the best preserved historical places in the country.

Just look at this magnificent church:

The church was built at a cost of £18 000, using local sandstone which was quarried and dressed at Adendorp and conveyed over the 8+ km by oxwagon by the members of the congregation. The roof beams and trusses were prepared in Port Elizabeth and transported by oxwagon over 275 km to the site.

This photo was taken over a 100 years ago:

I have to come back. I will do so soon.

I left Graaf Reinet at 1pm with 385km to go to George.

Aberdeen:

Uniondale:

Coming down the Langkloof I could see that it would be cold and wet on the George side of the mountain.

I nevertheless decided to ride to George via the Montagu Pass. This is just outside of Herold riding back into the Southern Cape:

After 550km for the day the trip drew to a close and I literally had my head in the clouds. The view from the top of Montagu Pass:

What a great trip. Hopefully Mrs. TR and I will do something like this annually. The trip totaled 3400km at an average fuel consumption of 18.5 km/L

This country has so much to see. I hope to get back to Graaf Reinet soon and also visit the site of the Battle of Stormberg. Of all the towns Nieu-Betesda and Graaf Reinet impressed me the most, but the moment of the trip I'll never forget? Walking with Lions.

Sweeper

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »

Stunning TR.  I am glad that I will be priviledged to hear the stories first hand.

Looks like an amazing trip.
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »

Not if you don't read it first Evil

JC

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »

Baie volledig en met baie moeite aanmekaargesit. Lekker gelees hieraan. Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Bly julle is veilig terug.
tok-tokkie

Insects: busy little blighters.

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »

Super TR.  You have tought me a lot about our heritage that I was only vaguely aware of.  Thank you.
Pmdb
Town Crier

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

Dankie TR vir 'n uitstekende verslag. Nieu-Betesda en Graaff-Reinette is van my gunsteling plekke. Het jy nie in  Nieu-Betesda 'n biertjie hier gaan drink nie ? Die ou brou sy eie bier en ek dink die naam is Sneeuberg Lager. Nogal nie sleg nie. 

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2008, 06:32:30 PM »

Ek het nogal, maar nie daar nie Undecided Ek was op 'n Sondag (gister) daar.

Moenie worry nie - ek gaan terug. Miskien gouer as wat ek gedink het. My vrou se stief-sussie se man is gisteraand oorlede. Hy het 'n asma aanval gehad. Hy was 29. Die begrafnis is op Graaf Reinet.

TIEKIE

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »

dankie TR vir 'n vreeslike interessante wys van ons land se kleiner plekkies.  dit is werklik baie interessant om bietjie meer van ons land geskiedenis deur jou kamera se lens te ervaar.  ons land het darem soveel geskiedenis.  dankie vir jou interessante vertelling.   Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »

Plesier Tiekie. Jammer dat dit in die Rooi taal is. Dit kom op my blog ook en daar is baie internasionale gaste.

White Stripes

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »

Thanks, TR, sir. Doubtless not your intention, the ironic use of the British tongue blends in as good as the sad history of the area you were so privileged to visit. I happen to be a vivid reader of the history of the Boer War. Also visited a lot of the sites, Magersfontein my favorite. Sadly, a distant and very dead relative of my distinguished family was killed as a spy for the Boers in the War. He happened to live in the Klaarstroom area and was rejected by both Boer and British for his role, or lack thereof, in the war.

Jammer om van die karate te hoor. Dis maar hoe ons groot word. May he live to fight another day. And fight he will.....
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

Snaaks, hy was baie afgehaal na die toernooi, maar nou is hy vuur en vlam. Volgende jaar wil hy die hele blerrie ding wen. Mens moet yster temper om staal te kry.

White Stripes

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »

Stem saam.
Rustyb
Town Crier

« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »

Great trip report TR. Some of the plaques at the Womens War Memorial were heart rending to read. The pain and suffering that our fore fathers underwent was tremendous, yet it did not seem to get them down. That spiit allowied them to be victorius in the end.

If you sow honesty, you will reap trust
Rooibok
Town Crier

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 06:13:19 AM »

Nice man! Lekker deeglike TR. Jy stel n goeie voorbeeld.  Smile

Dit lyk of julle die hele tyd goeie weer gehad het. A1

Ek gee oor. WP is die Beste!
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2008, 08:58:39 AM »

Dit lyk of julle die hele tyd goeie weer gehad het. A1

Ja, dankie Rooibok. Ons sal weer 'n weer bestelling insit as ons gaan ry. Jou diens was uitstekend Smile

JZ

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »

Great trip report TR. Some of the plaques at the Womens War Memorial were heart rending to read. The pain and suffering that our fore fathers underwent was tremendous, yet it did not seem to get them down. That spiit allowied them to be victorius in the end.

What about our "fore mothers"? Smile
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:19:22 AM by JZ » Logged

Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: