Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My holiday -- Kudu Khaya  (Read 1691 times)
Rustyb
Town Crier

« on: January 23, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

From Louvain we drove to Kudu Khaya in Baviaanskloof. It was raining all the way. There were signs of the recent floods everywhere. In places you could see where the road had been rebuilt. We missed the first turn off for Hankey/ Patensie and got a bit lost taking a detour to miss the road works.

Once on the dirt road, I appreciated the higher ride and bigger tyres. Past Komdomo ( no shaded camping spots ) and Bruintjieskraal ( well shaded spots ) we drove. In places the water had dammed up creating mud pools. I approached them gingerly not knowing what lay beneath the water. The turn off to Kudu Khaya is well signposted. 

Once there, we were shown to our site, No: 13. Up the embankment and to the left. It was still raining and I needed the diff-lock to climb the muddy track. Our next problem was that the tent was new and we had not taken a trial run before we left home. A tent with fine mesh on the top for ventilation. This same mesh offers no protection from the raindrops. Working under the flysheet we put it up in about 25 minutes. We were soaked through, yet it was not cold. We tried making a fire but the wood was wet so we just created a thick smoke screen. Which is why I insisted on packing in Mince Mate. As we packed most of our stuff in the tent it became a bit cramped. We had left the gazebo behind as we thought we would not need it. Christmas day saw us driving around in P.E looking for a gazebo.  R 169.99 at Checkers near Makro.

As I had driven the road now twice I could give it a bit more speed. Back at camp it was still raining. Not as hard anymore. The gazebo went up quickly. The guy ropes and totally useless. Thankfully I always keep plenty of spares. We were able to put Xmas lunch on the gas and take a walk around the camp. Most of the sites are well shaded with some right next to the river. Ablutions are unisex. Three sets of two toilets, two showers and two basins on the side. Hot water was at a premium and you had to either shower really early or late to get warm water. The geyser looked small, probably 50 litres.

You could hear the children playing in the water but rarely saw them. Kudu Khaya have a strict policy on loud music and everyone adhered to it. We went to Jefferies Bay on Family day to visit a scrapbooking shop called Bohemian Scrapcity. What a waste. It was like shopping in any coastal town in December. Highly inflated prices. Most of the material was available elsewhere ( Cape Town ) for 30% less. We popped into the Spur near the Supertube. It was filled to capacity yet the service was exceptionally good. One of the few places that obviously increase their level of service over the peak season.

The weather was finally starting to improve. We could see blue sky. The road was still quite wet, and the potholes were becoming visible. Back at camp we built a roaring fire and were finally able to braai. We were treated to an amazing sunset. Being away from the city and its lights the stars were much brighter. Next morning ( our last day there ) it was sunny.

At the farmhouse, we watched how their potatoes were processed.  The very big ones are sold mainly to the chip companies. The next size down is still quite large. We bought a pocket off the floor. Petrus made sure our bag was filled to the brim. To one side was a container half filled with baby potatoes and potatoes with faults. They told us they throw these away as the potatoes are too small and noone is interested in 3rd class potatoes. They were the best baby potatoes I had in a long time.

In the afternoon we headed upstream to the legendary pools. As the river was flowing stronger than usual the path was sometimes obscured. The path zigzagged across the river. The stones/rocks were slippery. My shins took a beating. The water was cool but not cold. In places there were mini waterfalls and when you sat there it was like a spa bath. All too soon it was time to return to camp. We had had great fun and it was a pity we had not taken this walk earlier. We started packing that night. Less for the morning. We were up at the crack of dawn breaking camp.

If you sow honesty, you will reap trust
Trailrider
Administrator
Town Crier

Die Bergie...

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »

Sheez - sounds like you had a great time! Where exactly is the potato place?

Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.
Pmdb
Town Crier

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

Dankie Russel, lyk my julle het dit darem geniet ten spyte van die reen ? Hoeveel het 'n sak aartappels gekos ? Paar fotos miskien Grin

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
Rustyb
Town Crier

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »

TR it was at Kudu Khaya. After the heavy rain they had had, they had to harvest them before the potatoes started going rotten with all the moisture in the ground.
 We paid R 30.00, but then we were able to take as many baby potatoes as we wanted. The small ones they throw away. Photos to follow.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:16:01 AM by Rustyb » Logged

If you sow honesty, you will reap trust
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: