Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you manage your picture archive?  (Read 1195 times)
tok-tokkie

Insects: busy little blighters.

« on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

TR you take masses of pictures.  How do you organise them?  Buzzy you know lots about computers.  Anyone else with advice?

1. My computer hard drive is now full & I still have stacks of pictures on my SD card to download.  My computer is a HP laptop so it is not simple to add another drive to it.
2. I had previously already moved a lot of pictures to an external USB hard drive.
3. Now my problem is how do I keep track of which pictures are where & what needs moving to the external drive.
4. My thoughts are that I should transfer directly from camera to the USB drive (it is much bigger than my internal drive) & use that as the working drive.  I suppose I can tell the Canon software that the USB is now the working drive.
5. Then how do you keep a back-up of your pictures?  Another USB drive?  How do you synchronise them?  I have a Seagate USB drive which comes with nice synchronising software which I use as the back-up for the internal drive (all the other stuff on the internal drive besides the pictures).  I now have a Toshiba USB drive with some of my pictures already there but it does not come with synchronising software.  This is the drive that I think I should use for the pictures. Can I get third party synchronising software?
buzzlightyear
Administrator
Village Elder

I come in pieces

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »

I have a photos folder on my C drive where we create a new folder for each event, and then plonk the photos into there. Then I have a 250GB external USB drive to which I backup every now and then.

I've used Google Picasa to sort of manage my photos, it has a nice date view where you can move forward and backwards in time and view the photos. You can also tag photos if I remember correctly, so you can assign tags RLT and Salmonsdam to photo(s), and then search by those tags. It can also add geotags, plus upload to the picasaweb.

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world. - John LeCarr
Fourie
Town Crier

Die Aapmens ......

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »

I keep photo's on my laptop which have a 250gb memory. These are backed up on my external drive.

I create a file and name it, ex: lunar eclipse, for all the photo's. For example for photo's which I use on RLT will be saved in the RLT Irfanview file....after they have been resized.

The originals stay in the named files.

This system works for me.......

Ek is bly ek is nie 'n Stormer ondersteuner nie
lox
Village Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »

Ek sit elke jaar se fotos in een hoof folder en gee hom die naam: Fotos en die jaartal bv fotos 2010

dan sit ek die fotos wat ek saam afneem of wat op slefde topic betrekking het saam in een sub folder en gee dit 'n naam soos bv mosambiek 2007, of scuba rooiels, of jag kruidfontein 2005.

van vanjaar af merk ek die subfolder eers met die datum en dna die plek of gebeurtenis, dan is die folders ook in tyd orde gerangskik, bv 20110217 parstyd.

Bly nederig en waardeer wat jy het, dit kan binne oomblikke van jou weggeneem word.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: